The European Commission has approved the OPEN SESAME project (call H2020-INFRASUPP-2016-2017, topic INFRASUPP-01-2016, type Coordination and support action).
“The OPEN SESAME project will ensure optimal exploitation of the Synchrotron light for Experimental Science and Applications in the Middle East (SESAME) light source. With this aim, OPEN SESAME has three key objectives :
1. To train SESAME staff in the storage ring and beamline instrumentation technology, research techniques and administration for optimal use of a modern light source facility.
2. To build-up human capacity in Middle East researchers to optimally exploit SESAME’s infrastructure.
3. To train SESAME staff and its user community in public outreach and corporate communications, and to support SESAME and its stakeholders in building awareness and demonstrating its socio-economic impact to assure longer term exploitation.”
Starting in 2017, the project is coordinated by ESRF and it will be funded for 3 years. Participating partners are :
- ESRF (FR)
- CONSORCIO PARA LA CONSTRUCCION, EQUIPAMIENTO Y EXPLOTACION DEL LABORATORIO DE LUZ DE SINCROTRON (ES)
- THE CYPRUS INSTITUTE LIMITED (CY)
- STIFTUNG DEUTSCHES ELEKTRONEN-SYNCHROTRON DESY (DE)
- ELETTRA - SINCROTRONE TRIESTE SCPA (IT)
- ISTITUTO NAZIONALE DI FISICA NUCLEARE (IT)
- INSTRUCT ACADEMIC SERVICES LIMITED (UK)
- SESAME (JO)
- SYNCHROTRON SOLEIL (FR)
- EUROPEAN ORGANIZATION FOR NUCLEAR RESEARCH (CH)
- CNRS (FR)
The project work is divided into four Work Packages and IPANEMA is implicated in three of them.
- WP1 : Management and dissemination
- WP2 : SESAME staff training and exchange programme
- WP3 : Building user capacity in the local science and technology landscape. Special responsibility will be given to IPANEMA in matters of training in topics related to ancient materials.